Elder and Sister Watts

Elder and Sister Watts

Hill Cumorah Visitors' Sites Mission Statement

"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life."
3 Nephi 5:13

Friday, December 10, 2010

CELEBRATING THE HOLIDAYS: III - Kids and Christmas

While it's true, we won't be home for Christmas and will miss seeing our grandchildren in Oregon,  it buoyed our spirits to help with the local elementary school's Santa's Breakfast last Saturday.
Several Senior Missionaries and Young Sisters showed up to help.  We started out before the breakfast officially began by washing tables in the cafeteria to prepare for the guests.

As families arrived they had several options, one of which was a visit with Santa.  Needless to say, that's where most families went first.


After meeting with Santa, families went to breakfast.  Elder Watts was a greeter and checked tickets.

 Some of the Senior Sisters helped serve the food . . .

. . . while the Senior Elders cleared and washed tables as families finished eating.

And, as families ate their breakfasts, other missionaries sang Christmas carols.


Another activity available to families was Santa's Shop. Here visitors could buy gifts for $1.50 each.  Once they were finished shopping, they could get their gifts wrapped for free. 


Some of the Senior Sister Missionaries helped out with the gift wrapping . . . I was one of them.  Those who know me, know that I love wrapping gifts and I love kids  . . .what a perfect combination for me.
It was so much fun to talk with these little shoppers. They were so proud of their purchases and happily told me who each gift was for, adding things like, "I know my grandma will like this."
The gifts were simple, but bought with love for each recipient.  It helped me focus on what really matters at Christmas.  It doesn't have to be a big, expensive, gift - it really is the thought that counts, as trite as that sounds.  And once again I realized, if a person is "down in the dumps", or in our case, a couple of "holiday homesick missionaries"; serving others is the perfect antidote.  This video clip eloquently expresses what I'm trying to convey.


1 comment: